With few major economic data points expected to report ahead of November, it appears that many investors have eyed Election Day in the U.S. as the next major turning point for gold prices. Republican nominee Mitt Romney, who is polling competitively in national polls and in major battleground states, has said he would remove Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke if he won the presidency. Such a move would leave doubts as to how long the newly implemented quantitative easing program would remain in effect. A report has suggested, though, that the open-ended program approved by the Fed was brokered by Bernanke with the possibility in mind that the plan would outlast him. In other words, the chairman worked to get a majority of Fed presidents firmly in agreement with the latest quantitative easing measure so that a new Fed leader would continue to carry on the policies.
Gold ETF SPDR Gold Trust (GLD) was giving up 0.32%.-- Written by Joe Deaux in New York. >Contact by Email. Follow @JoeDeaux
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV