Last up is Xerox (XRX) the $10 billion IT and document solutions firm that's achieved household name status. Like Netflix, shares of Xerox have been atrophying over the last year or so, dropping around 8% since the first trading day of 2012. But also like Netflix, this stock is showing traders a setup that could turn the decline around.
The pattern in Xerox is an inverse head and shoulders, a pattern that's formed by three swing lows in a stock's price chart. The outside two, the shoulders, come in at approximately the same level, and they're separated by the head, a lower trough in the pattern. The buy signal comes when the neckline gets broken. While XRX's neckline is sloped, it's positioned at approximately $7.80 right now.
The inverse head and shoulders is a well-known pattern that tends to be a very reliable setup in spite of (or maybe because of) its popularity: a recent academic study conducted by the Federal Reserve Board of New York found that the results of 10,000 computer-simulated head-and-shoulders trades resulted in "profits [that] would have been both statistically and economically significant."Don't buy until the neckline gets taken out. XRX is still in a downtrend until then. To see this week's trades in action, check out the High Volume Technicals for the Week portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV