As part of its ongoing commitment to address U.S. food insecurity – an issue that affects more than 50 million people, including nearly 17 million children – ConAgra Foods Foundation announced new research today, developed by Professor Craig Gundersen, on the actions foundations and advocates can take to substantially reduce food insecurity. Gundersen, an economist and one of the nation’s foremost experts in the areas of domestic food insecurity research, revealed the findings to an audience in Waco, Texas, during the Southwest Regional Hunger Summit held at Baylor University.
As keynote speaker at the Summit, Gundersen gave an overview on U.S. food insecurity and named the five factors that the research shows have the greatest impact on reducing food insecurity, captured in his report: An Overview of the Effectiveness of Various Approaches to Addressing Food Insecurity in the United States.
The five evidence-based factors covered in the report are:
- Participation in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP); formerly known as the Food Stamp program
- Participation in the National School Lunch Program (NSLP)
- Use of emergency food assistance programs
- Low food prices
- Improved financial management skills
For each of these factors, Gundersen considered the evidence regarding its efficacy in reducing food insecurity, and how each of these can be enhanced by the actions of foundations, food banks, policymakers, program administrators and advocates.“Beginning with my work at the Economic Research Service of the USDA, I have studied the causes and consequences of food insecurity in the United States,” said Craig Gundersen, now a professor of Agricultural and Consumer Economics at the University of Illinois. “However, this is the first time I have been asked to look at the literature through the lens of what is most effective for funders, advocates, and policymakers to invest in to move the dial on food insecurity.”
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV