NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Annaly Capital Management (NLY) received an upgrade to "Market Perform" from "Underperform," on Thursday, as Wells Fargo analysts argued the risk of elevated mortgage prepayments as borrowers refinance their homes may be priced into the shares of the mortgage Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT).
The analysts, led by Joel Houck, believe Annaly will increase book value by 5% to 10% when it reports third quarter earnings later this month. Assuming they are correct, "the shares would be trading close to 0.95x price to book, which it has only done two times as a public company," the report states.
Still, Houck remains somewhat cautious on Annaly. While he acknowledges it "is considered the bellweather in the Agency REIT sector" due to "having the strongest track record and expertise across a broad range of markets," he adds that "we remain concerned around [net interest margin] compression, higher prepayments and premium valuation to other agency REITs."
Houck has a "valuation range" of $15.50 to $16.50 for Annaly shares, which closed Wednesday at $15.99. Annaly shares have lost nearly 7% over the past month and are roughly flat for the year.-- Written by Dan Freed in New York. Follow @dan_freed
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV