November crude oil futures closed down 2 cents at $92.10 a barrel. December gold futures settled down $8.30 at $1,744.70 an ounce.
The benchmark 10-year Treasury dipped 3/32, raising the yield to 1.834%. The greenback rose 0.37%, according to the dollar index.
Shares of Philip Morris International (PM) lost 4.2% after the tobacco company reported lower-than-expected third-quarter earnings and sales, and provided a disappointing full-year profit outlook.Southwest Airlines (LUV) swung to a profit in the third quarter from a year-earlier loss and topped earnings estimates. Revenue was little changed as average ticket prices fell amid lower demand last month. The stock edged up 0.34%. Shares of eBay (EBAY) jumped more than 5% after the online auctioneer missed on the top line in its latest quarter and gave a mixed fourth-quarter outlook. The company did beat earnings per share estimates by a penny, and several brokerages raised their price target on the stock on Thursday. Mellanox Technologies (MLNX) was a big loser after the company gave weak revenue guidance, saying it expects revenue between $145 and $150 million, well below the consensus estimate of $157 million. Shares plunged 20.5%. Online movie services company Netflix (NFLX) announced that it has launched in Sweden, Denmark, Norway and Finland. The stock dipped less than 2%. Sprint Nextel (S) revealed it's adding to its stake in Clearwire (CLWR) by buying out the founder of the troubled wireless network operator. Clearwire shares tumbled 10.2% and Sprint shares climbed 0.87%.
2012 Stock Predictions and Outlook
|Your one-stop shop for 2012 stock recommendations and market predictions.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV