The New York-based telecom provider brought in revenue of $29 billion, in line with consensus estimates and up from $27.9 billion in the prior year's quarter.
Excluding items, Verizon earned 64 cents a share, also meeting analysts' estimates, and up from 56 cents a share in the prior year's quarter.
"Verizon Wireless continues to do an outstanding job of balancing growth and profitability," explained Verizon CEO Lowell McAdam, in a statement Thursday. "Wireless achieved record profitability in a quarter in which we reported the highest number of retail postpaid gross and net adds in four years."The wireless division added 1.8 million retail net customers during the quarter, excluding acquisitions and adjustments. This included 1.5 million retail postpaid net customers and low retail postpaid churn of 0.91%, according to Verizon. Total Verizon Wireless revenue was $19 billion, a year-over-year increase of 7.3%. Wireless operating income margin was 31.8% while non-GAAP EBITDA margin was 50%; both numbers were record highs. The Dow component, which began selling Apple's (AAPL) iPhone 5 late in the quarter, also enjoyed a 7.5% year-over-year increase in wireless service revenue, which reached $16.2 billion. In his statement before market open, Verizon CEO McAdam also said that the company is on track to meet its 2012 financial objectives. Verizon shares rose 1.19% to $45.25 in premarket trading. Shares of rival AT&T (T) rose 0.31% to $35.83. --Written by James Rogers in New York. Follow @jamesjrogers >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV