Today Biogen Idec (NASDAQ: BIIB) announced that the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has extended the initial PDUFA date for its review of the New Drug Application (NDA) for the marketing approval of BG-12 (dimethyl fumarate), the company’s oral therapeutic candidate for the treatment of multiple sclerosis (MS). The 3 month extension is a standard extension period.
The FDA has indicated that the extension of the PDUFA date is needed to allow additional time for review of the application. The agency has not asked for additional studies.
About Dimethyl Fumarate
Dimethyl fumarate, also known as BG-12, is an investigational oral therapy in late-stage clinical development for the treatment of RRMS, the most common form of MS. Dimethyl fumarate is the only currently known investigational compound for the treatment of RRMS that has experimentally demonstrated activation of the Nrf-2 pathway.Dimethyl fumarate is currently under review by regulatory authorities in the United States, European Union, Australia, Canada and Switzerland. About Biogen Idec Through cutting-edge science and medicine, Biogen Idec discovers, develops and delivers to patients worldwide innovative therapies for the treatment of neurodegenerative diseases, hemophilia and autoimmune disorders. Founded in 1978, Biogen Idec is the world’s oldest independent biotechnology company. Patients worldwide benefit from its leading multiple sclerosis therapies, and the company generates more than $5 billion in annual revenues. For product labeling, press releases and additional information about the company, please visit www.biogenidec.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV