Snap-on Incorporated (NYSE: SNA), a leading global innovator, manufacturer and marketer of tools, equipment, diagnostics, repair information and systems solutions for professional users performing critical tasks, today announced operating results for the third quarter of 2012.
- Sales of $711.6 million increased $14.4 million, or 2.1%, from 2011 levels; excluding $16.6 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation, organic sales increased 4.6%.
- Operating earnings before financial services of $96.2 million, including $12.2 million of higher year-over-year stock-based, mark-to-market expense, compares to $94.3 million last year.
- Financial services operating earnings of $27.9 million increased $7.1 million from 2011 levels, reflecting the growth of the on-book finance portfolio.
- Consolidated operating earnings of $124.1 million improved to 16.5% of revenues (net sales plus financial services revenue) as compared to $115.1 million, or 15.8% of revenues, last year.
- Net earnings of $74.1 million, or $1.26 per diluted share, compares with net earnings of $67.8 million, or $1.16 per diluted share, last year.
“We believe our third quarter results demonstrate continued progress along our defined runways for coherent growth: enhancing the franchise network, expanding in the vehicle repair garage, extending into critical industries and building in emerging markets,” said Nick Pinchuk, Snap-on chairman and chief executive officer. “These results also underscore the way in which our commitment to the Snap-on Value Creation processes drives ongoing improvement in safety, quality, customer connection, innovation and rapid continuous improvement. As further evidence of our success in connecting with customers and translating that insight into winning innovation, we are honored to have been recognized again in 2012 by both MOTOR Magazine and Professional Tool & Equipment News with multiple awards for Snap-on products in each publication. Finally, these results and achievements reflect significant effort and dedication across the organization and I thank our franchisees and associates worldwide for their extraordinary contributions and commitment.”
Commercial & Industrial Group segment sales of $280.4 million in the third quarter increased $2.1 million, or 0.8%, from 2011 levels; excluding $8.8 million of unfavorable foreign currency translation, organic sales increased 4.0%.Operating earnings of $33.4 million in the period increased $3.8 million, or 12.8%, from 2011 levels and the operating margin (operating earnings as a percentage of segment sales) of 11.9% increased from 10.6% a year ago.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV