During the first two quarters of 2012, the Company recorded a net credit of $0.2 million in restructuring and other special charges. The restructuring charges included $6.2 million in severance and other personnel costs along with $1.3 million in facility-related costs primarily associated with the ongoing integration of the Clearstone Central Laboratories (“Clearstone”) acquisition and the termination of an executive vice-president. These charges were offset by the reversal of previously established restructuring reserves of $4.8 million in unused severance and $2.9 million in unused facility-related costs. The Company recorded $0.9 million in acquisition fees and expenses relating to its acquisition of MEDTOX. As part of the Clearstone integration, the Company recorded a $6.9 million loss on the disposal of one of its European subsidiaries. In addition, in conjunction with the liquidation of one of its joint ventures, the Company recorded a one-time increase of $2.9 million in equity method income.
For the nine months ended September 30, 2011, the after tax impact of these combined net charges decreased net earnings by $15.1 million and diluted earnings per share by $0.15 ($15.1 million divided by 98.1 million shares).
2) During the third quarter of 2011, the Company recorded net restructuring and other special charges of $24.1 million, consisting of $7.9 million in severance related liabilities and $16.2 million in net facility-related costs primarily associated with ongoing integration of the Clearstone, Genzyme Genetics and Westcliff acquisitions. The after tax impact of these charges decreased net earnings for the three months ended September 30, 2011, by $16.9 million and diluted earnings per share by $0.17 ($16.9 million divided by 102.2 million shares).
During the first two quarters of 2011, the Company recorded restructuring and other special charges of $81.8 million. The restructuring charges included $10.9 million in net severance and other personnel costs along with $20.5 million in net facility-related costs primarily associated with the ongoing integration of the Genzyme Genetics and Westcliff acquisitions. The special charges also include $34.5 million ($49.5 million, net of previously recorded reserves of $15.0 million) relating to the settlement of the Hunter Labs litigation in California, along with $1.1 million for legal costs associated with the planned acquisition of Orchid Cellmark incurred during the second quarter of 2011, both of which were recorded in Selling, General and Administrative Expenses in the Company’s Statement of Operations. The charges also included a $14.8 million write-off of an investment made in a prior year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts