NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Stock futures were falling Thursday after the Labor Department reported a rise in weekly initial jobless claims and investors eyed a summit of European Union leaders in Brussels with caution.
In China, third-quarter gross domestic product rose 7.4% from a year ago, which was as expected by economists surveyed by Reuters. Industrial production and retail sales data for September came in a bit above expectations.
Futures for the Dow Jones Industrial Average were down 8 points, or 9 points below fair value, at 13,481. Futures for the S&P 500 were down 3.89 points, or 2.55 points below fair value, at 1453. Futures for the Nasdaq were down 9.50 points, or 8.22 points below fair value, at 2761.
The Labor Department said initial jobless claims for the week ended Oct. 13 rose by 46,000 to 388,000 from the previous week's upwardly revised figure of 342,000. The four-week moving average was 365,500, an increase from the prior week's 364,750.Continuing claims for the week ended Oct. 6 fell 29,000 to 3.252 million from the preceding week's upwardly revised level of 3.281 million. On average, economists were expecting initial jobless claims of 365,000 and continuing claims of 3.275 million. "After all the confusion
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV