By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Green Mountain Coffee Roasters (GMCR) has been ground up and left for dead, but Wednesday bullish activity began brewing again.
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected a surge of bullish activity in the coffee company Wednesday, with 10,000 November 25 calls purchased for $2.08. A block of 10,000 November 30 calls were also sold for 65 cents and 5,000 December 25 puts were sold for $3.08.
Owning those 25 calls locks in the price where the investor can buy the stock, while selling the 30s obligates him or her to unload it for $30 if it goes above that level. The sale of the December puts brought in even more money but could be painfully costly if the stock drops because the trader is now on the hook to buy shares if they tank below $25.The net result is that the investor collected $110,000 to open the position and will collect an additional $5 million if the stock closes above $30 at expiration on Nov. 16. Green Mountain rose 6.29% to $23.66 Wednesday but is still down by more than two-thirds in the last year. Shares plunged in May after the company slashed guidance but have been trading sideways since then. Short interest is also a hefty 38% of the float, which could provide a caffeine jolt to the upside. Total option volume was five times greater than average in Wednesday's session. Russell has no positions in GMCR.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV