BATON ROUGE, La. (AP) â¿¿ Specialty chemical maker Albemarle Corp. said on Wednesday that its third-quarter net income fell 14.5 percent and warned that the fourth quarter will be even more difficult.
The company said it earned $99.3 million, or $1.10 per share, for the quarter that ended Sept. 30. That was down from $116.1 million, or $1.28, during the same period last year.
Revenue fell 8.5 percent to $661.2 million, from $723 million a year ago.
The results from this year's third quarter included special charges and a special benefit of 5 cents per share each, so they were a wash. The charge was for a settlement related to a special executive retirement plan.Analysts surveyed by FactSet had been expecting a profit of $1.09 per share on revenue of $676.7 million. Two-thirds of the revenue decline was because of lower metals surcharges in its catalysts business. And its polymer solutions business faced "severe deterioration" in sales for electronics and construction in Europe. "While I expect fourth quarter to be even more difficult than was the third, I remain confident in our ability to grow our business in 2013," CEO Luke Kissam said. The company said it expects market and economic conditions "to remain unstable for the foreseeable future." Albemarle said it expects higher profits in all three of its segments in 2013, but "if economic uncertainty continues, we are prepared to take appropriate steps to ensure the company's financial strength and future growth." Shares had risen 48 cents to close at $54.28 before the results were released. They fell $2.27, or 4.2 percent, to $52.01 in aftermarket trading.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV