Third-quarter operating expenses were $244 million in 2012, down from $285 million in the year-ago quarter.
Funding and Liquidity
During third-quarter 2012, the company issued $2.6 billion in FFELP asset-backed securities (ABS), $640 million in private education loan ABS, and $800 million of unsecured bonds.Shareholder Distributions In third-quarter 2012, Sallie Mae paid a common stock dividend of $0.125 per share and repurchased 7.6 million shares of common stock for $121 million. Year-to-date Sept. 30, 2012, Sallie Mae has repurchased 48.2 million common shares for $730 million. At Sept. 30, 2012, $170 million was available for additional common share repurchases. Guidance The company expects 2012 results to be as follows:
- Full-year 2012 private education loan originations of at least $3.2 billion.
- Fully diluted 2012 core earnings per share of $2.15.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV