Why The Unemployed Are Better Workers
4. In this difficult economy, job hunters have proven that we possess very desirable characteristics such as persistence, patience, resilience, flexibility and creativity.
To keep up the hunt despite repeated rejection means that the unemployed are balanced, stable and mentally healthy, all ideal traits for employees.
5. Our compensation expectations are realistic.
Despite our valuable experience, the longer-term unemployed are not prima donnas who demand what employers, also hurting financially, can't afford to provide. We're fair and respectful, and ask only to be treated the same way.
I hope that the employer in the AOL Jobs article will reconsider his negative views of the unemployed. Don't assume we can't cut it: It's not true. Give us the chance to prove ourselves! Do you agree with my reasons? Do you have any to add? Share in the comments section below.
More From AOL Jobs
- Is It A Mistake To Hold Out For A Full-Time Job?
- My Unemployed Life: Held Back by Obesity
- 12 Things I've Learned From Being Unemployed
Fran Hopkins is a lifelong NJ resident and Baby Boomer who's been searching for full-time work since losing her job in a January 2010 layoff. While "between jobs," she's earned an MS degree in Health Communication, does freelance writing and public relations, and is actively involved in the NJ chapter of the Association for Women in Communications. Her household includes a college-age son and an assortment of pets.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
24/7 market commentary from Jim Cramer and 20+ veteran Wall Street gurus. Get access to the latest trading ideas on stocks, options, and ETFs as well as a real-time forum to see the pros exchanging their investment ideas.
- Jim Cramer + 20 Wall Street pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Real-time trading forum
- Actionable trade ideas
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV