The last takeover target we're looking at is toolmaker Snap-On (SNA). Snap-On is having a good 2012. So far this year, shares of the firm have rallied more than 44%. But there's still considerable value that can still be unlocked from shares right now, and other companies know it.
Snap-On's target market is the professionals. It sells its tools and diagnostic equipment primarily to techs who work on cars, trucks, planes or other machines. That pro image carries over to the retail market too, though. So-called "prosumers" want to use the same tools that the pros use, and ultimately Snap-On has a big untapped market to in the retail space.Despite some modest advertising to consumers, the firm's bread and butter remains the professional market. A fleet of 3,200 franchised vans sell and deliver tools directly to repair shops across the U.S. That control of the product from manufacture to delivery gives SNA precision control over its costs that outsourcing rivals don't have. While the firm's balance sheet is more leveraged than most of the other names on this list, Snap-On's still in decent financial shape, especially when compared to peers. A potential suitor could unlock significant value in making a bigger retail presence from what's already a valuable brand. To see these takeover names in action, check out Takeover Targets Q4 2012 Portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV