BLOOMFIELD HILLS, Mich., Oct. 17, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- A new PulteGroup Home Index (PGHI) survey by national homebuilder PulteGroup, Inc., (NYSE: PHM) shows that twice as many households as today will experience their adult children or aging parents moving in at some point in the future.
PulteGroup recently surveyed two demographics: those with children aged 16-30 and those with living parents. Among respondents with grown children, 14 percent already have "boomerang kid" roommates (a young adult who moves back into their parent's home after a period of independence), but a full 31 percent expect that at least one child will be returning to their home in the future. Among those with living parents, 15 percent of the survey respondents already have aging parents living with them, but more than twice that number, 32 percent, expect to eventually share their home with a parent.
PulteGroup's Del Webb, Pulte Homes and Centex communities have seen an increase in multi-generational households during the past several years, and the company's research shows that this trend is expected to grow significantly. While financial reasons are a common cause for this trend, the company found that a high number of households had parents move back in as a deliberate choice to enhance familial relationships and build a better bond among the generations.Making Room for More Family Members Because a growing number of homeowners are expecting to accommodate a larger family in the future, those surveyed said they plan to adjust their living space by either renovating their existing home or purchasing a new home.
- 72 percent of those with aging parents currently living with them or planning on it in the future will renovate or purchase a new home
- 49 percent of homeowners with adult children currently or planning to move back in will renovate or purchase a new home
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV