Comparison to the Second Quarter 2012Operating income: Third quarter 2012 operating income was $875 million compared with $829 million in second quarter 2012. Operating income, as adjusted, was $876 million compared with $832 million in second quarter 2012.
- Investment advisory, administration fees and securities lending revenue in third quarter 2012 increased $34 million from second quarter 2012, driven by market effects on average AUM, the benefit of one additional revenue day in the current quarter and revenue associated with net inflows, partially offset by seasonally lower securities lending fees. Securities lending fees were $129 million in third quarter 2012 compared with $157 million in second quarter 2012.
- Performance fees increased $62 million to $103 million in third quarter 2012 from $41 million in second quarter 2012. The current quarter reflected higher performance fees from alternative products primarily due to the greater number of products with performance measurement periods that end on September 30 th as compared with June 30 th.
- BlackRock Solutions and advisory revenue of $128 million in third quarter 2012 decreased from $131 million in second quarter 2012.
- Employee compensation and benefits increased $42 million, primarily reflecting higher incentive compensation driven by higher operating income.
- General and administration expenses increased $3 million, primarily related to the previously mentioned closed-end fund launch costs and an increase in foreign currency remeasurement costs, partially offset by lower marketing and promotional expenses, which were seasonally lower in the third quarter.