BlackRock, Inc. (NYSE:BLK) today reported third quarter 2012 diluted EPS of $3.65, up 19% from second quarter 2012 and 13% from third quarter 2011. Revenue grew 4% from third quarter 2011 reflecting positive market factors, positive net new business, and strength in performance fees and BlackRock Solutions ®. Operating income of $875 million and operating margin of 37.7% for third quarter 2012 included $25 million of launch costs for the Municipal Target Term Trust.
As adjusted (2) results . Third quarter 2012 operating income rose 3% and 5% to $876 million from third quarter 2011 and second quarter 2012, respectively. Diluted EPS totaled $3.47 and included operating income of $3.42 per diluted share and net non-operating income of $0.05 per diluted share. Adjusted operating margin of 40.7% in third quarter 2012 rose 60 bps from third quarter 2011 and 150 bps from second quarter 2012.
“We’ve built a broad and diverse platform at BlackRock focused on delivering strong investment performance and the solutions our clients need regardless of market environment. In the third quarter, we delivered record earnings per share up 23% from the prior year and margins over 40%,” said Laurence D. Fink, Chairman and CEO of BlackRock. "We achieved these results through robust new business generation across each of our channels with particular strength in key growth areas on which we’ve focused, including Retail and iShares and our DC business, strong non-operating results and due to the benefits of share repurchases.”
|The table below presents AUM and a comparison of GAAP and as adjusted results for certain financial measures.|
|Q3 2012||Q3 2011||% Change||Q2 2012||% Change||YTD 2012||YTD 2011||% Change|
|Net income (1)||$642||$595||8%||$554||16%||$1,768||$1,782||(1%)|
|Operating income (2)||$876||$849||3%||$832||5%||$2,533||$2,551||(1%)|
|Net income (1)(2)||$610||$521||17%||$558||9%||$1,743||$1,681||4%|
|Diluted EPS (2)||$3.47||$2.83||23%||$3.10||12%||$9.73||$8.80||11%|
(1) Net income represents net income attributable to BlackRock, Inc.(2) See notes (a) through (f) to the Condensed Consolidated Statements of Income and Supplemental Information in Attachment I on pages 10 through 13 for more information on as adjusted items and the reconciliation to GAAP. “High performing fixed income products combined with continued demand for yield-oriented strategies drove strong results in our retail business, specifically in retail fixed income where we generated $6.2 billion in net new business, our highest retail fixed income flows in over 10 years. As retirement trends accelerate and assets continue to shift from defined benefit to defined contribution plans, the appetite for broader investment solutions continues to increase. I’m proud to say that BlackRock attracted net inflows of $10.4 billion in defined contribution AUM, with particular strength in outcome-oriented solutions such as our LifePath® portfolios. BlackRock Solutions, another key growth priority, continued its record of consistent year-over-year growth, with a 9% increase in revenue for the business overall and 18% in our industry leading trading and operating system, Aladdin. “We achieved a milestone in our iShares business, with the highest net new business production since our merger with Barclays Global Investors in December 2009. iShares generated $25.2 billion in net flows, including $20.5 billion into our equity offerings. We hold the number one market share of year-to-date industry flows. This week, we introduced our new iShares Core series for buy-and-hold investors, launched a revitalized iShares brand campaign and began to integrate our U.S. iShares and BlackRock retail sales forces. These initiatives are the first phase of a broader, global strategy to drive enhanced growth in the iShares platform. “During the year, we consistently demonstrated our commitment to strong capital management and driving enhanced shareholder value. We have returned over $2 billion of cash to shareholders in a combination of dividends and share repurchases supported by strong cash flow. We remain committed to actively returning cash to our shareholders while investing for future growth.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV