By Pete Najarian, co-founder of OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Phillips 66 (PSX) has run into overhead resistance after a scorching run higher, but traders are betting that the rally will resume.
A trader bought 12,000 January 50 calls in a single print for $1.60 and sold two blocks of 6,000 January 55 calls for 60 cents and 65 cents, according to OptionMonster's tracking systems. There was straight call-buying in the November 49 strike as well.
The January bullish call spread, which cost about $1 to establish, is looking for the stock to rally by expiration early next year. The independent energy and chemical company, which was spun off from Conoco in April, will release third-quarter earnings results on Oct. 31.The stock gained 4.75% Tuesday to close at $46.49, bouncing off its 50-day moving average after drifting lower this month. Shares came into June trading below $30 and ran all the way to a 52-week high of $48.22 on Sept. 14, with bullish option activity lighting up OptionMonster's systems repeatedly along the way. Total option volume in the name Tuesday was more than six times its daily average. Calls outpaced puts by 23 to 1. Najarian has no positions in PSX.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV