EUV status update
- ASML's 6 pre-production NXE:3100 EUV systems, capable of resolution performance compatible with the 22 nm node in single patterning mode, have exposed more than 23,000 wafers at customer sites with good overlay and imaging performance, enabling semiconductor device recipe development and confirmation of infrastructure progress. The successor system, the NXE:3300B, is capable of resolution performance compatible with the 14 nm node in single patterning mode. This system has already shown overlay down to 1.3 nm and imaging down to 16 nm in a full-field single exposure using new illumination technology. Progress continues on improving the productivity of the EUV systems currently limited by the light source.
- Cymer's EUV light sources have for some time been exposing wafers at up to 11 Watts source power at customer facilities, resulting in NXE:3100 productivity of up to 7 wafers per hour. ASML and Cymer jointly made significant progress during the summer and have now proven in laboratories a sustained 30-Watt source exposure power potential, which would enable the NXE:3300B to expose 18 wafers per hour. ASML's specified target remains at 105 Watts or 69 wafers per hour (wph), to be achieved for 2014 microchip production.
- ASML and Cymer have been cooperating very closely for more than a year on a number of development tasks. The transaction is a natural next step from the R&D collaboration and will make the cooperation more efficient by knitting development teams closer together, streamlining project management and simplifying the supply chain.
The current accumulated EUV exposure experience at customers, the successful demonstration of the NXE:3300B imaging and overlay and the proof of concept of up to 30 Watts source power are expected to support the following plan:
- The deliveries of the first 11 NXE:3300B systems in 2013 to be installed at customers for R&D.
- Additional orders for NXE:3300B systems intended for production in 2014 at a minimum specification targeting 69 wph. ASML has currently received 4 commitments and expects another 4 to 8 within the next 6 months.
About ASMLASML is one of the world's leading providers of lithography systems for the semiconductor industry, manufacturing complex machines that are critical to the production of integrated circuits or chips. Headquartered in Veldhoven, the Netherlands, ASML is traded on Euronext Amsterdam and NASDAQ under the symbol ASML. ASML has more than 8,200 employees on payroll (expressed in full time equivalents), serving chip manufacturers in more than 55 locations in 16 countries. More information about our company, our products and technology, and career opportunities is available on our website: www.asml.com
About CymerCymer, Inc. (Nasdaq: CYMI) is an industry leader in developing lithography light sources, used by chipmakers worldwide to pattern advanced semiconductor chips, and is pioneering a new silicon crystallization tool for the display industry. Cymer's light sources have been widely adopted by the world's top chipmakers and the company's installed base comprises approximately 3,750 systems. Continuing its legacy of leadership, Cymer is currently pioneering the industry's transition to EUV lithography, the next viable step on the technology roadmap for the creation of smaller, faster chips. The company is headquartered in San Diego, CA, has more than 1,200 employees on payroll (expressed in full time equivalents) and supports its customers from numerous offices around the globe. Cymer maintains a Web site to which it regularly posts press releases, SEC filings, and additional information about Cymer. Interested persons can also subscribe to automated e-mail alerts or RSS feeds. Please visit www.cymer.comForward Looking Statements"Safe Harbor" Statement under the US Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995: this press release contains statements that constitute forward-looking statements within the meaning of the Private Securities Litigation Reform Act of 1995. These statements, as they relate to Cymer or ASML, this transaction or the expected benefits of this transaction, involve risks and uncertainties that may cause results to differ materially from those set forth in the statements. We use words such as "anticipates," "believes," "plans," "expects," "projects," "future," "intends," "may," "will," "should," "could," "estimates," "predicts," "potential," "continue," "guidance" and similar expressions to identify these forward-looking statements. These statements are not historical facts, but rather are based on current expectations, estimates, assumptions and projections about the business and future financial results of ASML and Cymer, and readers should not place undue reliance on them. Actual results or developments may differ materially from those in the forward-looking statements. These forward looking statements are subject to risks and uncertainties, including the inability to obtain Cymer shareholder approval or regulatory approval for this transaction, the satisfaction of other conditions to the closing of the transaction, the possibility that the length of time necessary to consummate this transaction may be longer than anticipated, the achievement of the expected benefits of the transaction, risks associated with integrating the businesses of Cymer and ASML, the possibility that the businesses of ASML and Cymer may suffer as a result of uncertainty surrounding the proposed transaction, the expected capacity and capability developments in EUV systems, the anticipated effect of this transaction on ASML's earnings per share and EUV margins, the benefits of the DUV and IBP businesses and other risks associated with the development of EUV technology. The foregoing risk list of factors is not exhaustive. You should consider carefully the foregoing factors and the other risks and uncertainties that affect the businesses of ASML and Cymer described in the risk factors included in ASML's Annual Report on Form 20-F and Cymer's Annual Report on Form 10-K, Cymer's Quarterly Reports on Form 10-Q, and other documents filed by ASML and Cymer from time to time with the SEC. The parties disclaim any obligation to update the forward-looking statements contained herein.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV