- Undervaluation and Underperformance: Misleading response - Agrium has sought to erase its historical share price underperformance using short-term results which have been impacted by JANA's engagement and other exigent factors. Agrium has also failed to offer any defense of its switch to new lower multiple comparable companies to value its Retail business after years of arguing for higher multiple comparables.
- Lack of Fit Between Retail and Wholesale Businesses: No substantive response – Instead, Agrium simply claims shareholder support for the status quo on this one issue. While JANA disputes this claim, JANA also expressed confidence that even shareholders who may currently support Agrium's structure will stop if Agrium fails to offer any synergies of its structure that can withstand scrutiny.
- High Cost of Current Structure: Misleading response - Agrium's responses fail to put its historical overhead cost growth in the proper perspective and sets an unacceptably low bar for cost management.
- Suboptimal Capitalization & Capital Allocation: Partial response - Agrium has improved its capital return profile following JANA's engagement, but has yet to commit to sustained improvement, and has not addressed the impact of its structure on capital allocation.
- Poor Retail Disclosure: No response.
- Board's Lack of Legitimate Retail Distribution Experience: No response.
- Failure to Manage Working Capital: Misleading and incomplete response - Agrium's responses are either easily refutable or lacking in sufficient detail to evaluate.
- Failure to Manage Retail Costs: Misleading response - Agrium has offered new disclosure giving a snapshot of its cost management, yet the broader trend of cost management relative to peers confirms JANA's point that unlike its peers Agrium's growth has failed to translate into operating leverage.
JANA Partners Calls On Agrium To Join The Discussion On Unlocking Agrium's True Value Potential
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
More than 30 investing pros with skin in the game give you actionable insight and investment ideas.