Here's another surprising source of abundance: 3D printing. It's about where computer printing was in 1978, and it's about to create abundance in the creation of customized stuff.
It's nothing less than a revolution in manufacturing, as TechCrunch notes, and the big money will go to those that can make use of this new abundance.
Or take garbage. Waste Management (WM) has become the biofuel industry's sugar daddy, as I wrote recently at Seeking Alpha. It backs companies such as Renmatix and Enerkem, which want to use its garbage as a feedstock for fuel.
Again, the name of the game is using abundance, turning what we have a lot of into something of value.If you want to make money, look for abundance, and find a way to turn that abundance into something people will buy. While most reporters are looking at shortages -- of food, of fuel, of water -- the solutions to our problems are at hand, in abundance. This is a business that tech reporters know well. It would do well for energy and manufacturing reporters to learn how it's played, too. For them, it's 1978. I only wish I were 23 again so I could take the coming ride with you. At the time of publication, the author had no holdings in the companies mentioned. Follow @DanaBlankenhorn This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV