NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- As a technology writer I have spent my career covering an abundance business.
For a generation, the chief task of technology companies has been making use of the computing abundance created by Moore's Law, which says that overall processing power for computers will double every two years.
New data types -- sound files, video files, high-definition video files -- have been created, manipulated and downloaded because we found we could. Each time a new source of abundance is discovered, the search begins for some way to make use of it.
Take big data. What do we do with all the Web log files, or customer interactions, or surveillance videos it now makes economic sense to collect? Start-ups like
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV