NEW YORK, Oct. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- AllianceBernstein L.P. (AllianceBernstein) today announced new research showing that although more than 50% of plan sponsors surveyed offer target-date funds (TDFs) in defined contribution (DC) plans, only half of them are using TDFs as their default and are therefore missing out on critical fiduciary safe harbor protection available under the Pension Protection Act of 2006 (PPA). The research also shows that plan participant use of and satisfaction with TDFs continues to grow, even in the face of several years of stock market underperformance.
AllianceBernstein recently conducted its eighth annual survey of plan participants and third biannual survey of plan sponsors. The findings offer a comprehensive look at the behaviors, concerns and trends related to DC plans. The full report on the findings of these surveys is available at www.abdc.com.
"Even in the wake of a continuing decline of Social Security and defined benefit plans as primary sources for retirement income, our recent research shows that many plan sponsors are still struggling to find the best way to structure their DC plans," says Joe Healy, Head of AllianceBernstein's Defined Contribution Client Experience. "While more and more sponsors recognize the benefits of offering an age-based, asset-allocation investment solution to their participants, they fail to realize valuable fiduciary protections by not designating these funds as their plan's default."
KEY PLAN SPONSOR FINDINGSQDIAs: The Overlooked Advantage: Qualified default investment alternatives (QDIAs) provide safe harbor protection for plan sponsors and often offer better asset allocation for participants than they might have if they constructed their allocation on their own. However, this year's survey shows that many sponsors offering TDFs are underutilizing these default benefits.
- Low TDF default : Of the sponsors offering TDFs, only 50% use a TDF as the default.
- Lacking safe harbor default: Of the 50% of sponsors offering a TDF, but not using it as the default, an alarming 83% have no default at all or are still using a stable value fund, an equity fund or a bond fund - none of which are QDIAs - as the default.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV