Oct. 16, 2012
/PRNewswire/ -- Océ, a Canon Group Company and an international leader in digital document management and printing for professionals, today announced the new Océ
480 GT and Océ
480 XT printers that feature remarkable application versatility and improved productivity while maintaining the uncompromising quality favored by Océ Arizona Series customers. The Océ
480 GT printer will make its worldwide debut in Océ booth #435 at the Specialty Graphic and Imaging Association (SGIA) annual exhibition taking place from
October 18-20, 2012
Production efficiencies, application versatility are keys to growth
In a recent SGIA survey, the Graphics & Sign Community was polled to determine paths for business growth. The survey found that "in an effort to grow, even in an uncertain economy, sign and graphics companies are focusing on production efficiencies." In addition, application versatility is seen as a key element to industry expansion. The report summary continues, "the most common method for graphics and sign companies to achieve projected growth is through market expansion, either within existing markets, or by developing new markets." The new Océ
480 Series printers include features designed to increase throughput and broaden the range of applications that can be offered by print service providers.
Serious tools for serious craftsmen
Creative professionals dedicated to the production of high quality sign and display applications demand high quality tools. The Océ
480 printers represent the latest generation in this market-leading product family. Featuring the same award-winning Océ VariaDot
imaging technology as in every Océ
printer, these models offer even more application versatility and production efficiencies. New features include:
Eight independent ink channels for application flexibility, increased productivity
- Eight independent ink channels with support for varnish or double-opacity white ink printing, including additional cyan and magenta channels for higher print quality at faster speeds.
- Active pixel placement compensation for optimum image sharpness, density and uniformity over the entire printing area - both flatbed or across the Roll Media Option.
- Precise vacuum system, configured to match the majority of standard-sized graphic arts media.
- Batch mode operation for streamlining multi-layered jobs or facilitating set collation.
480 GT and Océ
480 XT models include eight independent ink channels with the first four configured for standard CMYK printing. Channels five and six can be configured in two ways that offer flexibility to meet the demands of various jobs:
- Varnish + White: Using white ink, print service providers can produce exceptional quality prints on a variety of non-white substrates – including backlit prints – that can command premium prices. Varnish can be used as a 'spot' (targeted) or 'flood' (overall) decorative element for attention-getting results at premium prices. These two features can be combined to create truly unique applications for sign and display or fine art applications.
- Double-White: Alternatively, when not required for use in printing varnish, the sixth channel can be used as an additional white ink channel to provide double the opacity in a single printing pass for higher productivity when printing white ink jobs. This is particularly beneficial for backlit and industrial applications.
Print service providers can use these two channels in whichever configuration best suits their needs, changing from
varnish + white
(and vice versa) on demand.
Channels seven and eight are used to enhance both print quality - beyond the level already available in every Océ
printer - and print speed by adding extra cyan and magenta nozzle capacity. Called CM
[C-M-squared], the additional cyan and magenta nozzle capacity offers Production print modes that rival the slower Quality-oriented modes in terms of sharpness, uniformity and smoothness. Users can take advantage of this improved print quality to realize higher net productivity since more demanding jobs can now be printed in the faster print modes. The additional nozzle capacity over existing Océ
models also enables a Production print mode that is nearly 25% faster than normal Production mode on models not equipped with CM
capability. In short, CM
printing offers higher quality at faster speeds.
Active pixel placement compensation for assured image sharpness
480 GT and Océ
480 XT models use Océ's new
active pixel placement compensation
to assure image sharpness, density and uniformity, whether it is printed on the flatbed or on the Roll Media Option. This is achieved by dynamically adjusting the location of individual pixels to account for localized variations in flatbed or platen height.
Precise vacuum system
There are six vacuum zones on the Océ
480 GT printer and seven on the Océ
480 XT printer. These zones have been configured to match the majority of standard-sized graphic arts media to reduce or eliminate manual masking, thereby decreasing operator intervention and increasing productivity.
Complex, multi-layered jobs – those requiring multiple passes to achieve the desired results – can now be streamlined using the new batch mode tools, reducing operator intervention. Batch mode can also be used to produce sets of prints (e.g. 50 items on 36" x 48" media and 30 items on 4' x 8' media sequentially for easy collation and fulfillment.