American Express (AXP) is forming a triangle of a different sort right now. Like the other names on our list, American Express has been on a tear in 2012, rallying more than 23% as improving consumer sentiment spurred bigger dollar volume flowing through AXP's payment network. This fall, the symmetrical triangle in shares of AXP points to higher prices for the firm.
A symmetrical triangle is a price pattern that's formed by converging resistance and support lines that are moving towards price at approximately the same rate. Old-school technicians often call the symmetrical triangle a "coil," because price action within the pattern typically resembles a tightening spring. Like a spring, the breakout from a coil pattern tends to be sharp and quick.That makes a lot of sense. After all, over the course of a symmetrical triangle, volatility is slowly diminishing and the average daily range of American Express is getting smaller and smaller. But volatility is cyclical, so a period of very low volatility is a contrarian indicator that points to a big move. With an uptrend in AXP's price action preceding the pattern, an upside breakout is the likeliest move for shares. That said, it's critical to wait for the breakout to actually happen before buying this trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV