American Express (AXP) is forming a triangle of a different sort right now. Like the other names on our list, American Express has been on a tear in 2012, rallying more than 23% as improving consumer sentiment spurred bigger dollar volume flowing through AXP's payment network. This fall, the symmetrical triangle in shares of AXP points to higher prices for the firm.
A symmetrical triangle is a price pattern that's formed by converging resistance and support lines that are moving towards price at approximately the same rate. Old-school technicians often call the symmetrical triangle a "coil," because price action within the pattern typically resembles a tightening spring. Like a spring, the breakout from a coil pattern tends to be sharp and quick.That makes a lot of sense. After all, over the course of a symmetrical triangle, volatility is slowly diminishing and the average daily range of American Express is getting smaller and smaller. But volatility is cyclical, so a period of very low volatility is a contrarian indicator that points to a big move. With an uptrend in AXP's price action preceding the pattern, an upside breakout is the likeliest move for shares. That said, it's critical to wait for the breakout to actually happen before buying this trade.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV