Your Essential Guide To Medicare Advantage For 2013
Either way, with most Medicare Advantage plans you must use providers -- doctors and hospitals - - that are in their networks, says Rosen, co-author of "The Healthcare Survival Guide."
For some people that can be a disadvantage. The doctors you've been seeing for years may not be in the network, he explains. You may be able to go to a doctor outside the network, but you will pay more.
Also, Medicare Advantage plans are not available everywhere in the country, says Elaine Wong Eakin, executive director of California Health Advocates in Sacramento.
Steps before enrolling
Before you choose a Medicare Advantage plan, you should:
- Go online and find out which doctors and hospitals are in its provider network. Call your doctors' offices to find out if they take part in the Medicare Advantage plan you're considering. If they don't, decide if you're willing to change doctors or hospitals.
- Find out what happens if you go outside your coverage area. If you spend the winter in a warmer climate, you may not want to be limited by a Medicare Advantage network where you live during the summer, Rosen says.
- If you take prescription drugs, check to see whether they are on the plan's list of preferred drugs. If they aren't, you may be better off with original Medicare and a Part D drug plan that covers them.
- Find out what your out-of-pocket expenses will be. Deductibles, copays and co-insurance vary from plan to plan. Compare costs to other Medicare Advantage plans and also to original or basic Medicare and the supplements you would need. Medicare.gov has tips on things to think about when you compare Medicare drug coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV