Kemper said that "while non-interest income continued to be affected by recent debit card interchange regulations, commercial card fees grew 21.8% compared to last year and remained strong, while trust fees also increased 7.1%. Non-interest expense was flat compared to the same quarter of last year." Third-quarter noninterest income totaled $100.9 million, increasing slightly from $100.8 million the previous quarter, but declining from $101.6 million a year earlier.
Total deposits increased slightly during the third quarter to $16.85 billion as of Sept. 30, with coveted non-interest bearing deposits growing by 3%, while CD deposit balances declined.
The company's overall earnings performance remained relatively strong, with a third-quarter return on average assets of 1.28%, and a return on average equity of 11.57%.
Commerce's shares closed at $38.95 Monday, returning 4% year-to-date, following a 3% return during 2011.The shares trade for 1.5 times their reported Sept. 30 book value of $26.33, and for 12.7 times the consensus 2013 EPS estimate of $3.07. Based on a quarterly payout of 23 cents, the shares have a dividend yield of 2.36%. Interested in more on Commerce Bancshares? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Philip van Doorn in Jupiter, Fla. >Contact by Email. Follow @PhilipvanDoorn
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV