Like TWX, MSG, RCI and BCE, both companies have what the people want -- long-term contracts to televise major sports ranging from baseball to the Olympics. In addition, they own and operate strong brands that, love 'em or hate 'em, attract eyeballs.
Fox News. CNBC. MSNBC. It's quite a list of very much alive multimedia properties that continue to do well on television and online.
Traditional media has the power to ride the very sustainable waves that are Twitter and Facebook. New and social media appears to have the right attitude. It wants to be a good partner.This harmony represents the future, not online as the exclusive conduit for news, sports and entertainment. I intend to invest accordingly. At the time of publication, the author was long FB. On weakness he intends to buy shares of NWSA and CMCSA.
Follow @RoccoPendola This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV