By David Russell, reporter at OptionMonster
NEW YORK -- Option traders are finding a new favorite in Botox maker Allergan (AGN)
OptionMonster's tracking systems detected the purchase of 2,530 April 95 calls for $4.62 and $4.673. Volume was more than 34 times previous open interest at the strike.
Calls lock in the price investors must pay to buy shares, so they can result in some big profits in the event of a rally. That leverage has already been at work in the name because last week investors bought the October 92.50 calls for 90 cents and 95 cents. At the time, AGN was trading for $92.80.The stock then inched higher and closed Monday up 1.39% to $93.54. That was a gain of less than 1% from last week's levels. Those October calls, however, inflated by more than 40% to $1.30 from the same move. Allergan has been trending higher for years but typically sees fewer than 1,000 options trade per session. The recent activity suggests that it's now being discovered by a new group of investors hoping to leverage its bullish momentum. The company's next earnings report is scheduled for Oct. 30. Calls outnumbered puts by more than 8 to 1 Monday. Russell has no positions in AGN.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV