Seven States And DC Named To School Health "Honor Roll"
Most States Lag on Policies to Protect Kids with Asthma and Allergies at School
WASHINGTON, Oct. 16, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- PRNewswire-USNewswire – Dealing with asthma and allergies in the school setting, once rare, is now common. But most states don't have core policies in place to protect millions of children who each spend up to eight hours per day at school.
Asthma is the most common chronic cause of school absences, accounting for 10.5 million missed school days each year. Over 9 million children have asthma, ten million have other allergic diseases like nasal and skin allergies, and three million have food allergies putting them at risk for anaphylaxis – the most severe and deadly allergic reaction. Every day, asthma symptoms and allergic reactions strike in the classroom, gym, cafeteria, and on the bus or playground.
That's why the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America (AAFA) assesses state-level school policies regarding asthma and allergies in an annual report, the State Honor Roll™ of Asthma and Allergy Policies for Schools ( www.StateHonorRoll.org). The report recognizes progress where it is happening and provides a blueprint for advocates and policymakers to improve policies nationwide.AAFA's 2012 list of honorees includes two new places: Indiana and the District of Columbia (DC). All of the places named to the Honor Roll are included for their leadership on school health policies for public elementary, middle and high schools. The Honor Roll list includes (in alphabetical order):
- District of Columbia
- New Jersey
- Rhode Island
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV