GLENVIEW, Ill., Oct. 15, 2012 /PRNewswire/ -- Illinois Tool Works Inc. (NYSE: ITW) today announced that E. Scott Santi, vice chairman, has been promoted to president and chief operating officer. In addition, Mr. Santi has also been appointed acting chief executive officer, effective immediately. Mr. Santi's appointment as acting CEO follows the decision by David Speer, chairman and chief executive officer, to take a leave of absence in order to fully focus on his health. As disclosed on November 10, 2011, Mr. Speer has been undergoing treatment for a medical condition. ITW's lead director, Robert S. Morrison, will serve as acting non-executive chairman of the board, effective immediately.
"The promotion of Scott to president and chief operating officer reflects the board's normal and carefully considered succession planning process," said Robert Morrison, acting Chairman of the Board of Directors. "Scott is an accomplished ITW executive with nearly 30 years of service. With David Speer's full support, the board also appointed Scott as acting CEO. The board has a great deal of confidence in Scott and ITW's leadership team."
"Both the board and I are confident in having Scott lead the Company," said David Speer. "Scott is a proven leader with extensive knowledge of ITW's key markets and businesses. He has played a leading role in the development of ITW's current enterprise strategy."
"I appreciate the trust our board and David have placed in me to lead ITW at this time," said Mr. Santi. "The senior management team and I will work to build on ITW's long history of strong performance as well as continue to execute our strategic initiatives of portfolio management, business structure simplification and strategic sourcing to enhance value for shareholders. On behalf of the entire ITW family, we wish David a full recovery."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV