BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Could this be the bounce week that investors have been waiting for?
With the S&P 500 at support after correcting from a rally that's brought the big index as much as 17% higher this year, too many people are wondering whether this is really the end of the rally. Sentiment numbers don't help either. Investors are more bearish as a group than they've been anytime since the first quarter of 2009.
But earnings season is coinciding perfectly with the S&P's fall to trend line support -- and with analysts expecting pretty tepid performance from U.S. equities this quarter, any meaningful earnings surprise could help to fuel the next leg of this rally. Despite the excitement of earnings season's start last week, only nine S&P components delivered their numbers so far. So with 84 S&P names scheduled to turn over their numbers this week and another 164 component firms handing over their quarterly results next week, it's clear that the data is going to grow exponentially, starting now.That's why we're turning to a new set of Rocket Stock names this week. For the uninitiated, "Rocket Stocks" are our list of companies with short-term gain catalysts and longer-term growth potential. To find them, I run a weekly quantitative screen that seeks out stocks with a combination of analyst upgrades and positive earnings surprises to identify rising analyst expectations, a bullish signal for stocks in any market. After all, where analysts' expectations are increasing, institutional cash often follows. >>5 Stocks Poised for Breakouts In the last 172 weeks, our weekly list of five plays has outperformed the S&P 500 by 77.07%. Without further ado, here's a look at this week's Rocket Stocks.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV