Rating Change #9
Monolithic Power Systems Inc
has been downgraded by TheStreet Ratings from buy to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its increase in net income, revenue growth and largely solid financial position with reasonable debt levels by most measures. However, as a counter to these strengths, we also find weaknesses including disappointing return on equity and weak operating cash flow.
- ACTIVE STOCK TRADERS: Get full access to Jim Cramer's thoughts for less than $3/week - sometimes before he says them on TV! Start with a 14-Day Free Trial.
Highlights from the ratings report include:
- The net income growth from the same quarter one year ago has significantly exceeded that of the S&P 500 and the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry. The net income increased by 89.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, rising from $3.48 million to $6.59 million.
- Despite its growing revenue, the company underperformed as compared with the industry average of 13.6%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 13.5%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
- Powered by its strong earnings growth of 80.00% and other important driving factors, this stock has surged by 62.01% over the past year, outperforming the rise in the S&P 500 Index during the same period. Setting our sights on the months ahead, however, we feel that the stock's sharp appreciation over the last year has driven it to a price level which is now relatively expensive compared to the rest of its industry. The implication is that its reduced upside potential is not good enough to warrant further investment at this time.
- Net operating cash flow has significantly decreased to $6.07 million or 54.28% when compared to the same quarter last year. In addition, when comparing to the industry average, the firm's growth rate is much lower.
- The company's current return on equity has slightly decreased from the same quarter one year prior. This implies a minor weakness in the organization. In comparison to the other companies in the Semiconductors & Semiconductor Equipment industry and the overall market, MONOLITHIC POWER SYSTEMS INC's return on equity is significantly below that of the industry average and is below that of the S&P 500.
Monolithic Power Systems, Inc., a fabless semiconductor company, designs, develops, and markets analog and mixed-signal semiconductors. The company has a P/E ratio of 35.8, below the average electronics industry P/E ratio of 36.5 and above the S&P 500 P/E ratio of 17.7. Monolithic Power Systems has a market cap of $631.7 million and is part of the
industry. Shares are up 19.4% year to date as of the close of trading on Thursday.
You can view the full
Monolithic Power Systems Ratings Report
or get investment ideas from our
investment research center