- Find the vehicle. Edmunds says the first step is to find the exact type of vehicle you want.(The company, not surprisingly touts the Find Your Next Car feature on its home page.) Or check out the website of a favorite local dealer and identify the color and features you want in your new vehicle. Make sure to ring up the dealer and check that the car you want is actually on the lot.
- Close the deal. Once you've settled on the exact vehicle you want and have confirmed its immediate availability, ask the sales manager not only for the best price, but also for any incentives or rebates. Edmunds advises checking those figures against its True Market Value auto price comparison tool. If the number you got from the dealer is lower than the TMV quote, you're in good shape and can close the deal. If that number is higher, get on the phone and start negotiating with the dealership manager, letting him or her know you have the TMV figures in your back pocket.
- Set up delivery. Don't sign off on any deal without a guarantee the dealer will deliver the car or truck to you at your home or office. According to Edmunds, "the salesperson should oblige and arrange to have the car driven to your home or office. Inspect the car to verify it is the year, make and model you want and make sure there are no dents or scratches and all the equipment that's supposed to be there has been included." Also, check the fine print and make sure you're getting the deal you agreed to during those negotiations. After all, it's a contract you're going to have to live with for several years. Once you've determined everything is in order, make the payment to the dealer and accept the keys to your new vehicle.
3 Steps to Buying a Car in One Day
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.