The Charles Schwab Corporation today announced an agreement to acquire ThomasPartners, Inc., which includes an upfront payment of $85 million in cash and the opportunity for additional payments contingent on future growth in assets under management (AUM). The deal is expected to close during the fourth quarter, subject to customary closing conditions.
Headquartered in Wellesley, Massachusetts, ThomasPartners is a dividend income-focused asset management firm with $2.3 billion in AUM as of September 30, 2012, in largely growth-oriented investment portfolios designed to generate dividend income streams. ThomasPartners has consistently outperformed relevant benchmarks over the nine-year history of its dividend product.
At current AUM levels, Schwab anticipates that the acquisition will be neutral to EPS for the first 12 months post-closing, and become modestly accretive within the next 12 months. Given demographic trends that are fueling growing demand for income-oriented investment strategies, Schwab intends to further leverage ThomasPartners’ strong track record of growth and performance over time.
Post-closing plans include:
- The CEO and chairman of ThomasPartners, Gregory Thomas, and his investment team led by president, chief operating officer and chief investment officer William McMahon, will remain with the firm in order to maintain and oversee the investment and portfolio management processes in place today.
- Its money management solutions will be made available at a lower cost to clients of independent Registered Investment Advisors (RIAs) through the Schwab Advisor Services platform. At closing Schwab will waive transaction commission costs for ThomasPartners’ managed accounts custodied on Schwab’s Advisor Services platform.
- ThomasPartners’ portfolios will be offered to Schwab retail clients as part of its growing selection of advisory solutions which include Schwab Advisor Network, Windhaven Portfolios, Schwab Managed Portfolios, Schwab Private Client, and access to third party portfolio management. Assets in advised accounts at Schwab have grown steadily over the years and today stand at $124 billion. After closing, ThomasPartners will no longer directly market to individual investors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV