The CFO also sounded more cautious in his outlook for housing. While JPMorgan Chase CEO Jamie Dimon said housing had "turned the corner", Gerspach said he sometimes has trouble seeing the corner.
"We are seeing some elements of stabilization in the housing market but there are still significant challenges," said Gerspach. "In the past we have seen periodic improvements only to come crashing down." The CFO is unconvinced that the economy is strong enough to sustain the housing market. "We need to get through the elections, the fiscal cliff and have an economy that is strong enough to sustain job growth and bring a reduction in real unemployment rate."
-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV