AJC Remembers Arlen Specter, Centrist Champion
NEW YORK, Oct. 14, 2012 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- AJC today mourned the death of Arlen Specter, who represented Pennsylvania in the United States Senate from 1981 to 2011. Specter, 82, was a recipient of AJC's Congressional Leadership Award.
"At a time of deep polarization in our country's politics, Senator Specter's reliably strong stand for justice and fairness, and his vigorous defense of moderation, are sorely missed," said AJC Executive Director David Harris.
"Senator Specter was a respected voice in foreign affairs – as a staunch supporter of the U.S.- Israel alliance, as a leader in efforts to facilitate the emigration of Soviet Jews and other individuals suffering religious persecution, and as a watchdog on international terrorism who raised alarms over Iran's military ambitions."And, with a reputation for fearsome legal acuity, his contributions to domestic affairs were similarly impressive – as a leader of efforts to protect the constitutional separation of church and state, safeguard individual liberties, and combat hate crimes." The lone Jewish member of the Senate in the Republican Party, Specter was elected to the Senate five times as a Republican, but switched to the Democratic Party in his final term, and was defeated in a Democratic primary in 2010. At various times in his Senate career, he chaired the Judiciary, Veterans Affairs, and Select Intelligence committees. Before his election to federal office, Specter was District Attorney of Philadelphia. www.ajc.org SOURCE American Jewish Committee
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV