ABBOTT PARK, Ill. ( TheStreet) -- A combination regimen of oral hepatitis C drugs developed by Abbott (ABT) achieved near-perfect cure rates in patients new to treatment. Cure rates were almost as strong in patients who failed previous therapy, making them among the hardest to treat.
With cure rates of 99% following a 12-week regimen of oral drugs, Abbott stamps itself as a strong challenger to Gilead Sciences (GILD) in the rapidly evolving race to develop potent, interferon-free regimens for hepatitis C.
Abbott shares rose more than 3% to $71.60 following the release of the hepatitis C data.
The new Abbott data announced Monday come from a large, phase II study known as "AVIATOR" that was designed to assess the efficacy and safety of various combinations of oral hepatitis drugs in treatment-naive patients as well as hard-to-treat "null" responders.The Abbott drugs studied in AVIATOR were ABT-450, a protease inhibitor that requires blood-boosting with ritonavir; ABT-267, a NS5A inhibitor; and ABT-333, a "non-nuc" polymerase inhibitor. Ribavirin, a current backbone in hepatitis C treatment, was also included in some but not all of the combination regimens. A 12-week regimen consisting of all three Abbott drugs plus ribavirin demonstrated "observed" SVR12 rates of 99% (76/77) in treatment-naive patients and 93% (38/41) in null responders.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV