These are all trends that are manifesting themselves right at the moment, when tech spending is supposed to be robust. These are trends that surface in Avnet (AVT), the tech-part supermarket, which has always been a solid part of the fall tech trade, or in Jabil (JBL), which, too, has been a bedrock fall selection.
I know I believe in this tech cycle. It's worked for years and years. But here it is October, right in the tech sweet spot, and it sure isn't happening.
Maybe it just won't happen at all. The result? Unless you have a very specific tech player that is taking share and taking names -- I am thinking Amazon (AMZN) and Google (GOOG) here -- it might not pay to play the tech trade. In fact, it looks like it has become the most deadly trade of all.
At the time of publication, Action Alerts PLUS, which Cramer co-manages as a charitable trust, was long AAPL.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV