NEW YORK (ETF Expert) -- It may be too early to declare that the “do whatever it takes” rally is dead in the Mediterranean Sea. After all, there is still a fair amount of interest in buying broad market stock ETFs on weakness.
For example, on Wednesday, block trading institutional investors snatched up shares of the iShares S&P 100 (OEF) on 12 times the normal trading volume. The activity increased OEF’s net assets under management by an attention-grabbing 3%.
By the same token, there are equally intriguing contradictions. For instance, since Mario Draghi’s July 26th pledge to do anything and everything to get the eurozone through its debt crisis, the percentage of S&P 100 stocks above a long-term moving average had collectively remained above a 200-day trendline; that is, they were able to hang in there until Tuesday. In fact, with more selling taking place on Wednesday, one can expect the slide to be even more pronounced.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV