WHY IT MATTERS: UnitedHealth is the largest U.S. health insurer and the first to announce earnings every quarter. Many analysts and investors see it as a bellwether for the managed care sector.
Aetna Inc., the third largest insurer, reports results on Oct. 25, followed by Cigna Corp. on Nov. 1 and Humana Inc. on Nov. 5. The second-largest insurer, WellPoint Inc., then will wrap up reporting for the five biggest managed care companies when it releases results Nov. 7.
WHAT'S EXPECTED: Analysts surveyed by FactSet now expect, on average, earnings of $1.34 per share on $27.58 billion in revenue.
LAST YEAR'S QUARTER: UnitedHealth reported earnings of $1.27 billion, or $1.17 per share, on $25.28 billion in revenue for 2011's third quarter. The earnings beat analyst expectations, like UnitedHealth typically does.But the insurer's stock slipped the day it reported results, as it also warned investors of challenges like high unemployment rates and growing health care use that were expected to squeeze the company's 2012 performance.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV