Data analytics firm Chitika said its research determined the iPhone 5 has generated more Web traffic in the 18 days it's been available than the Galaxy S III. The study, which was conducted from Oct. 3 through Oct. 9, looked at mobile ad impressions coming from just the two devices.
The comparison found the iPhone 5 accounted for the 56% of the web traffic volume vs. just 44% for the Galaxy S III.
"The Galaxy S III has been available in the U.S. for nearly four months, and posted impressive sales figures - even beating out domestic sales of the iPhone 4S in August 2012," Chitika wrote in the post. "However, only 18 days since the public release of the iPhone 5, the newest Apple device has overtaken the Galaxy S III in terms of Web traffic volume."Chitika attributed the increase in traffic volume to Apple's sales numbers and the ability to use 4G networks. Apple said it sold 5 million iPhone 5s its first weekend, which some on Wall Street considered a disappointment. Apple and Samsung have been at odds in recent months, as the companies battle not only on retail shelves, but in the courtroom as well. In August, Apple won a landmark patent litigation dispute, as the court found that Samsung was in violation of six Apple patents. The Samsung Galaxy S III was not part of the trial, though the AT&T (T) and T-Mobile USA versions of the Galaxy S II were found guilty of infringing upon four of the five related patents.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV