Sleep Well at Night Free-Standing REITs
Certainly most free-standing REIT investors are being rewarded for investing in safe, reliable, and consistent income streams. According to NAREIT, the free-standing sector has returned 20.9% year-to-date (Sept. 28) and the industrial sector has returned over 25% year to date. Both stand alone sectors beating out the all equity REIT total return average payout of 16.09%.
The sleep well at night (SWAN) investor is seeking a fundamentally safe investment strategy where principal preservation and sustainable income (and growth) are a must. Essentially, this type of investor is seeking a bond-type investment in a real estate wrapper.
Free-standing REITs provide this balanced approach and this low-risk & pain-free investment strategy will often enhance portfolio returns by reducing volatility associated with non dividend paying stocks while also compounding repeatable sources of income. Great investing requires the ability to generate sound returns and also control portfolio risk. That is why free-standing REITs offer an intelligent value proposition that is distinguished at least as much for their ability to control risk they are for generating returns.As Howard Marks wrote in his book, The Most Important Thing, "When you boil it all down, it's the investor's job to intelligently bear risk for profit. Doing it well is what separates the best from the rest." Source: SNL Financial At the time of publication the author held no positions in any of the stocks mentioned. Follow @swan_investor This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV