Genzyme, a Sanofi company (EURONEXT: SAN and NYSE: SNY) announced today that key data from the TOWER trial were presented at the 28 th Congress of the European Committee for Treatment and Research in Multiple Sclerosis (ECTRIMS). In the study, once-daily, oral AUBAGIO ® 14 mg significantly reduced the annualized relapse rate and slowed progression of disability in patients with relapsing forms of multiple sclerosis (MS) compared to placebo. In addition, the proportion of patients treated with AUBAGIO who were relapse-free was significantly higher compared to placebo.
About MS Fact Sheet
TOWER ( Teriflunomide Oral in people With relapsing multipl E scle Rosis) is a randomized, double-blind Phase III trial that enrolled 1,169 patients with relapsing MS across 26 countries and compared 7 mg or 14 mg once-daily, oral AUBAGIO against placebo. The company announced positive top-line results in June. In September, the FDA approved AUBAGIO as a once-daily oral treatment for patients with relapsing forms of MS. Marketing applications for AUBAGIO are currently under review by the EMA and other regulatory authorities.
“Slowing the progression of disability is a major goal in treating MS and remains a significant unmet need for many patients,” said Ludwig Kappos, M.D., Chair of Neurology, University Hospital Basel, Switzerland, who presented the key TOWER results. “The TOWER study results are consistent with the Phase lll TEMSO data, both in terms of the effect on progression of disability and the manageable safety profile of AUBAGIO.”
TOWER data presented for the first time today for the 14 mg dose include:
- A 36.3 percent reduction in annualized relapse rate (ARR=0.319), the primary endpoint of the trial, as compared to placebo (ARR=0.501) (p=0.0001); Fifty-two percent of patients treated with this dose were also relapse-free, meaning they did not experience any relapses during the study, compared to 38 percent with placebo (37 percent risk reduction; p<0.0001).
- A 31.5 percent reduction in the risk of 12-week sustained accumulation of disability, the main secondary endpoint, as measured by the Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS), compared to placebo (p=0.0442).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV