Tech news website AllThingsD reports that Apple will likely showcase its newest device on Oct. 23, just two days before earnings. Perhaps it's just a coincidence, but Microsoft (MSFT) is launching its Surface tablet just three days later, on Oct. 26.
The launch venue is not yet known, but AllThingsD speculated it will be Apple's Town Hall Auditorium, a much more intimate setting than San Francisco's cavernous Moscone Center, which is often used for Apple product launches. Apple has held other events at its Town Hall Auditorium in the past, namely last year's iPhone 4S launch.
This year's launches of the new iPad and the iPhone 5, in March and September, respectively, were held in San Francisco's Yerba Buena Center for the Arts Theater, another relatively small venue.Apple is reportedly entering the smaller tablet market to hold onto market share. The tech giant holds 68% of the tablet market, according to IDC. Apple is looking to defend its turf against the likes of Amazon (AMZN), Google (GOOG) and Barnes & Noble (BKS), which all launched smaller tablets recently. Amazon Kindle Fire HD Fizzles Out: Review Retailers such as Best Buy (BBY) have been prepping shelves for the iPad Mini with accessory display cases. The tablet is expected to have a screen size of 7.85-inches, while the larger iPad has a 9.7-inch screen. It will look very similar to the larger iPad. Pricing for the device is not yet known, though many believe Apple will price the iPad Mini competitively with other smaller tablets, perhaps as low as $299. In the past, Apple has sent out invites to events 7 or 8 days before major announcements, so these may appear next Monday or Tuesday. The world will be watching its inboxes for hints of Apple's "one more thing" in 2012. Interested in more on Apple? See TheStreet Ratings' report card for this stock. -- Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV