Far be it from me to rain on the mental parade that probably began for you on Thursday, when we saw some decent market gains after a number of dreadful sessions on robust volume. But did you see that Thursday selloff? Listen, instead of staying in a mental rut, I suggest you become as angry as Hannibal Lecter in order to bring clarity to the stocks you are holding. Doing so will help you cut through the musings of the fee collectors and view present holdings -- and those spied as opportunities -- in the type of light that is necessary in a market that, frankly, is depressing to track day to day.
Hannibal Lecter Macro Checklist
McDonald'sThe cheerful folk trumpet the McDonald's dividend, its global reach and "low-earnings-expectations hurdle bar" as tasty ingredients to buy the stock. A Hannibal Lecter-oriented investor will seek to profit from the real story on McDonald's over the next three to six months, to be realistic on time horizon: valuation risk based on fundamental trends. These include the following:
CaterpillarHow could this stock be approachable, given the following?
BoeingThe angry investor is fully aware that the company's exposure to the government, and quantification as a capital-goods play, has dented appetite for the stock. But, in contrast to McDonalds and Caterpillar, Boeing has catalysts.
Special Note: 'Tout' TheStreetTheStreet did its inaugural Tout Thursday, and we will be fine-tuning it in the weeks ahead. What's cool is that you can Tout at us. The app, which you can download on your smartphone or tablet, is free, fun, and a wonderful platform on which you can be heard. I want to help, so "Tout" at me on Twitter and via TheStreet's feed. Feel free to voice any investing problems or moments of investing rage -- or anything else related to making money and not losing it all. Try and include a clever hash tag.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV