NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ Billionaire investor Carl Icahn wants to make an unsolicited bid for truck maker Oshkosh Corp. that values the company at almost $3 billion. Icahn says he also plans to nominate his own slate of directors in a bid to control the company.
The activist investor said Thursday that he will make a tender offer worth $32.50 per share in cash, a 21 percent premium over Oshkosh's latest closing price.
Icahn had sought seats on the board unsuccessfully last year. He said management has taken a passive attitude toward the company's future and he wants it to be more active. Icahn said he already owns about a 10 percent stake in the company.
___IPO market shows signs of life with 4 big gains NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ After a string of disappointing debuts, the IPO market showed signs of life Thursday, with shares of four newly public companies each shooting up more than 20 percent in their first day of trading. All of the companies â¿¿ Realogy, the owner of realty firms Century 21, Coldwell Banker and Corcoran Group; online stock photo provider Shutterstock; Kythera, a developer of shots to treat double chins; and Intercept Pharmaceuticals, which develops drugs for liver diseases â¿¿ saw strong demand from investors. The companies raised more money in their initial public stock offerings than they had predicted, an unusual occurrence in the past few months. ___ US trade deficit rose to $44.2 billion in August WASHINGTON (AP) â¿¿ The U.S. trade deficit widened in August from July because exports fell to the lowest level in six months. The wider deficit likely dragged on already weak economic growth. The deficit grew 4.1 percent to $44.2 billion in August, the biggest gap since May, the Commerce Department said Thursday. Exports dropped 1 percent to $181.3 billion. Demand for American-made cars and farm goods declined.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV