The 7 Most Terrifying Car Insurance Words
"You can get insurance, but you are going to have to pay through the nose," warns Kevin Foley, a New Jersey-based independent insurance agent.
Adler says the nonstandard auto insurance market is not a place that you want to be. "Most people are not going to have to go to the nonstandard market, but those who do are going to pay a high price. They are in a bad pool. This is not a good situation."
Only time and consistent good driving can improve your status, but you should switch to a standard policy as soon as possible, says Bach. "You are going to have to be proactive and continue to shop around every time your policy comes up for renewal" until you find a better deal, she says.
Prepare to exercise patience. Even if you maintain a spotless record, you normally will be on the nonstandard market for three years, says Moraga. "There is no shortcut."
5. Teen"Teen" may be the scariest car insurance word of all. Your chip off the old block is going to put a big dent in your bank account as soon as he or she gets a driver's license and goes on your auto policy. Your child doesn't have to be a bad driver to cost you big bucks. Teens in general are an enormous risk for insurers. They lack experience, drive too fast, and frequently exercise bad judgment. In 2010 the fatal crash rate for teen drivers in the U.S. was nearly three times higher than for drivers age 20 and older. Bach says you can minimize your financial hit by asking your insurer about teen discounts, such as reduced rates for good students. Older cars usually are cheaper to insure than newer models, she adds. She advises you to get a policy that allows you to designate your teen as the driver of your least expensive car.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV