The Associated Press
THE JOBS REPORT: The Labor Department reported that weekly unemployment claims fell to their lowest level since February 2008. But the unemployment rate is still much higher than it was then â¿¿ 7.8 percent at the latest read, compared to 4.9 percent in February 2008.
EUROPE SIMMERS: Greece reported a record-high unemployment rate. The Standard & Poor's ratings agency late Wednesday cut its rating on Spain's debt. And in Germany, economic researchers predicted the country's growth would slow.
UNDER NEW OWNERSHIP?: At least two companies jumped after reports that they could get new owners. Sprint Nextel said that a Japanese cell phone company, Softbank Corp., is in talks to invest in the company. Truck company Oshkosh Corp. rose after activist investor Carl Icahn offered to buy the company.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV